View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 PM

zum will become famous soon enough
Default A couple smallmouth

Pretty much a beginner with a flyrod,only using it a couple times a year,fishing for brookies in small steams.A few times last year I brought the flyrod out,to try for some smallies and pickerel,lake fishing.Landed acouple but would always keep going back to a baitcaster or spinning reel.This year is going to be different,havn't even brought a baitcaster or spinning reel in the boat with me.
I must say I was pretty tired the first time out.All that casting,false casting,stripping line and wind can really tire a fella out.I'm so used to running a gunning that I have to learn to slow down a bit.
Anyways,went out yesterday and landed a chain pickerel and 20+ small smallmouth,2 weren't to bad,the second being over 2 lbs.

I'm using a 7wt rod(shorestalker),ovris bass taper with a ross fly start reel.
I found I was loosing a few fish with a steamer(conehead zonkers?),so switched to top water,lots more fun to video.I was finding that the fish would follow the steamer right up to the boat,a few real nice ones but then they would just swim away.I must not be giving the fly the right action,need more practice.
Acouple more questions come to mind,like when to you decide to play the fish on the reel or how often do you change up the fly when you know the fish are there?
Sorry for the longish post and if you watch the video,don't blame me for the music,I don't have any(music)on this computer and the daughter put it on for me.