View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Nice tie.

Although this could start an interesting debate over whether you're better off imitating natural food, or something big and flashy. I tend to lean towards the latter, because musky don't eat very often at all despite their reputations for killing everything that comes close. I like something that will get they're attention and maybe tickle that lateral line a little bit. Although admittedly, fly fisherman are at a big disadvantage when it comes to lateral line tickles though compared to gear guys.

Anyways, I just felt like typing something this morning. Good luck this weekend with the unicorns.
This is an age old battle in my parts. I tend to believe color and profile make a difference but I have trouble explaining this:

I fish along side friends who don't flyrod so they will use spinning gear and throw what we call "plugs". We were all out on Wed night I caught Stripers with this fly:
Click the image to open in full size.

My buddy, standing 5' away from me also caught fish using a black bomber
Click the image to open in full size.

The bomber is NOT to scale. It was actually about 7" long and about 1.5" in diameter.

Where's the connection? Truthfully I think when it comes to fast moving predator fish they will hit just about anything that is moving. I think as long as the disturbance convinces a predator enough to take a serious bite your in good shape. But I'm not ready to let go of my superstitions...

Last edited by swirlchaser; 05-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.