View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice
Default Well, THAT was interesting....

Had a great evening fishing one of the nearby ponds. Lovely place, set back in the woods, crystal clear water, full of bass and bluegill. I had a ball using a tiny chartreuse popper, and neither the bass nor the gills seemed to want anything else.

As I was working around the shoreline, I spooked a water snake in the grass and a few inches of water. He spooked me pretty good, too, until I realized it was a water snake and not a cottonmouth. He settled half in the water and half out, about six feet away, and stayed still, so I just ignored him and kept fishing.

I caught a couple more small bass, and then I hooked a bluegill and was pulling it through the grass in the shallows when the snake took notice. I was just reaching for my leader when he shot across in front of me like a flash and grabbed my fish. So I'm standing there with a bluegill on my hook just a few feet away, and a very determined water snake hanging onto the fish's body.

I didn't really want the snake, so I was just about to clip my leader when the hook pulled out. I spent a while watching the snake try to eat a fish that was a good bit bigger than he was. He had the fish about halfway into his mouth when I decided to move elsewhere and leave him alone. I certainly hope he appreciated my helping him catch his dinner.

So when you catch a fish, but a snake steals and eats it, is it still considered "catch-and-release?" Maybe "catch-and-feed-to-other-wildlife?"

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

Last edited by half fast; 05-10-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: 42