View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: How to get started?

For the record, when I started tying I bought a kit. And then about a month later a buddy gifted me a kit, and I learned to tie on those kits for the first 2 years. So understand that I am not against kits. But they have certain shortcomings which can make learning to tie more frustrating.

For instance, the vise is serviceable, but shall we say limited. Probably the same can be said of most of the tools in a kit, except perhaps the bodkin.

However, without a doubt, the least useful part of any kit I have seen so far is the bobbins. I don't want to be disparaging here, but I suggest that if you go with a kit, buy a ceramic bobbin the same day. They aren't expensive, and at least you won't have to worry about your thread being cut unexpectedly two or three times per fly.

As for the materials in a kit, they are definitely serviceable, and might be the best part of any kit. They are good enough to tie whatever flies you like, and they will catch fish.

Anyway, if I gave the impression that I was looking down my nose at kits, I would like to say that is definitely not the case.

I just forgot that a new tier could actually find that they might not like tying.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark