View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Lake Trout On fly

Long before I had a pocket camera and when we used film in our SLR's I used to catch a few. I did this in Seneca Lake NY. The trick was to go fish on a day when the prevailing wind had been from the south for at least the last 24 hours.

What this did was to push all the surface matter to the north shore of the lake. Surface matter includes but was not limited to: dead minnows, dying minnows, bugs, zoo-plankton, and numerous things I couldn't identify........... The locals there called the wind effect a 'food boom', taken from the concept of a log or fuel spill boom that spans an area. The floating material driven by the wind became a very noticeable 'boom' as it was near, and then driven to shore.

You fished in about 4 - 6 foot of water and simply left the streamer sink so it lay on the bottom. Then every so often gave it the slightest twitch. If there was a Lake Trout near and looking it resulted in a bottom hugging bull strong run for deeper waters....

Not sure which lakes you're considering but wind can be helpful. I'll be watching for your posts,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;