Thread: Yellow perch
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow perch

Catch Yellow Perch all the time in the lakes by me. There not picky and just about any wet fly , nymph or small streamer will work. The big ones spawn here in Febuary and we get them in the Lehigh River on San Juan worms .
There great eating and when we want a mess for the pan when we get one we tie a ballon to it so we can follow the school and keep on hooking up. You would be amazed at how much that school will travel around a lake in a short period of time.
Good thing to do is a stomach pump or autopsy when your cleaning them because of the varied food they eat . For me it seems every lake has a key food they zone in on. One of the bigger ones by us the perch were filled with hellgrammites and crayfish where as a smaller pond nearby nothing but fathead minnows.
Funny thing there are so many yellow perch in the north eastern part of the country that I thought everyone new about them but I found out different a few years back. I was fishing the Healy Resecoir in Wyoming with a terrific fly guy from Oregon for trout. We had a great day catching a bunch of trout and suckers on beadhesd buggers when he gets this big yellow perch. He looks at me and asks what is this ? I thought he was joking but in all his travels and fishing adventures he had never seen or caught one! So he didn't want pictures of the trout he wanted one of his first Yellow Perch!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser