View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Lake Trout On fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
They close the season on tem at that time so it is a only by accident and an immediate release thing, but other than that I have not really seen it done.
The Laker's are fall spawner's and they come in where there is a medium cobble bottom near shore for spawning. That's probably why the season is closed at that time. They (like brown & brook trout) are particularly vulnerable in the fall. However, if a fly fisherman were not targeting them on visible beds I think C & R with out removing the fish from water for hero shots wouldn't harm their population at all.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, if fishing were allowed, I believe there should be a baseline leader strength requirement also to eliminate the guys who want to 'fight' a fish for 20 minutes on light tackle too. I always thought that New York was messed up because they allow fishing for lake Run Browns during fall when they are on the spawning mission. No problems with the fishing but the hero shots and light tippets are counter productive to say the least.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;