View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Longevity of waders

One of the things I've noticed over the years about waders and their longevity is that you really need to make sure you get a size that fits properly. If you get them and they are too big or too small, that can lead towards premature wear. Make sure you allow room for layers in the seasons and climate you're fishing in.

Also, consider what type of fishing you do and the things you need to go through to get to where you're fishing. If you're bushwhacking, you might want waders with more substantial layers on the legs. If you don't wade deep, you might even consider waist high waders.

When you're done with them, turn them inside out and hang them to try. Make sure the feet touch the floor so you're not stretching the seams. Then flip them and dry the outside.

Get waders from a company that you know will stand behind them. Simms, Bean, Patagonia, Orvis all seem to be pretty solid. I've used Orvis wader repair and they were excellent. Bean's Warranty is legendary, and Simms will do your first repair for free on the G3's.

Lots of guys that fish a lot own more than one pair of waders. If one pair needs to go back for service, there's another to use. Or you can alternate them to distribute wear and tear. I have Orvis Sonic Seams (not Sonic Silvers) that I use in warmer weather and they're not bad but nothing I've owned breathes better than my G3's. The Orvis Sonic Seams do pack down to next to nothing though so for travel waders they are excellent.