View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Freaky Finned Carp and a few other fish

Jamming fingers into gills is not usually a good idea. Many fish are dramatically different in what they can tolerate. A common carp can live after being run over by a truck.

After being with my beloved Division of Wildlife (CPW now) on many stream samplings, I think all of you would be aghast at how they handle fish when they stock or shock.

I have to stand with the bio's on this issue. If we truly feel that a quick picture is hurting our fine finned friends then what did the Catching just do to them?

If you truly feel like taking them up for a picture is that bad then you must feel at least somewhat guilty for the real stress which was hooking them and fighting them for what seems to them to be their life.

I am not arguing, but the fish management world and science shows us that fish are fairly hardy if you did not kill them while fighting it to get them to hand.

Many years ago I actually consulted our senior fisheries biologist for the state on what is bad and good and he said The Hero shot is never what does our friends in when done properly.

Sorry for my soap box but seems that these comments are being made more and more often and they seem to be getting a bit more exaggerated. After seeing how well this fellow above handled his fish (especially for being carp) I was thinking that he was being wrongfully targeted.

I do sincerely apologize for my expression here. I just felt like the other side of this argument can be made without hurting the fish.