View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wet Flies, Soft Hackles Swap, Spring 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun and best of all I can't wait to try these bad boys out! I've never spent much time fishing wets, but this summer I plan to dedicate a lot more time to learning the art. Popperfly (Keven) loaned me three books on wets by the master Sylvester Nemes that I'm working through to learn all of this various presentation skills on wets.
Same here, Larry. I read Syl's "The Soft Hackle Fly" and "The Tiny Soft Hackle Fly" over the winter and on my few days fishing this spring already put some the knowledge to good use. Caught a bunch of fish swinging a Syl's Midge to rising fish in a hatch and then had quite a few tugs fishing a hare's ear soft hackle after a March Brown hatch was over. It was a lot of fun in both cases. I will definitely be using soft hackles for searching flies this summer. The part I have to get better at is hooking up. I've gotten a lot of sharp tugs on the flies but missed the set, it's a little different than setting to a nymph or rise.