View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ft. Smith to Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Fish the mouth of the Shields river where it flows into the Yellowstone. I've had good luck there. I would also recommend, if it is just a couple of hour stop for which you are looking, don't head north to Townsend when you head to Helena/Craig. Instead go up through Boulder. The Boulder River (there are two. I'm talking about the one near Boulder) is not known as a great fishery. However, there are some great public access spots within the past 7 or 8 miles before Boulder that have given me some great fishing. I'm not talking monsters; but, I am talking occasions where I have been able to spend an hour or so and been able to catch a couple of dozen "fun little trout".
Sounds like my choice if it were my trip. That is floating two great rivers with some good creek fishing on the dry in between. I would say come fish here but runoff can hit us as late as July. Though it's been heating up fast..