View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I kill 'em?

It depends on water temp. As I understand it, warm water holds less dissolved O2 so as the temps rise the oxygen available to the fish decreases. At some point it become lethal but before that that temp is reached the effort the fish expends fighting you can deplete it such that it cannot recover given the low O2 available in the water.

I do carry a thermometer and if I'm concerned I check that water temp. Personally I call it if the temps get around 65 F though I've read some who say 70. I think over factors like water quality can come into play and I think it some species like the brown can handle slightly higher temps but trout are called cold water species for a reason. All that to say, carry a thermometer in the summer and check. That way you can know if you're risking over stressing and killing fish. If the temps are good then fish away! If they are too warm, seek out a bass stream or blue gill pond.

Ah, posted it an saw jaybo beat me too it!