View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default So I'm gonna build a switch rod (or 2)...

Over the winter when I was working on the XP I was really geared up for building rods and bought a cheap blank from "Roger" on ebay. It's an 11' 3/4wt, I believe it's an Angler's Roost blank but he won't say where he gets them, no matter. I just wanted another blank to build on and thought I might as well go long for more practice and something different. I haven't started it yet.

Then I talked to my buddy from back home that I kinda helped get started on the fly some years ago, he went out for Lake Michigan run steelhead a couple times and is hooked. Now he wants a switch rod and I told him I build it for cost.

So I know it's just long fly rod but I don't know anything about grip lengths and options. I've gathered that 11" is pretty standard for the foregrip and 3-4" for the rear. I imagine the foregrip like a 7" wells and then with an extra 4" shaped in front of it?

I'd love to see some two handed grips for ideas.

I don't know if I should build the grips on the blank or a mandrel first then fit them. I'll definitely need a real reamer if I do the latter. I'll practice on my cheap blank first, but any advice or tips are welcome!