Thread: New PA guy
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: New PA guy

Josh,

I want you to get out your PA Atlas & Gazatteer and plot a course for the Lehigh Valley Region about an hour+ drive north of you. Find the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area and seek out streams like the Little Lehigh River (as you mentioned), Monocacy Creek, Saucon Creek, Bushkill Creek, and my favorite - Martins Creek.

Most of these streams are limestone spring influenced, very fertile, and loaded with wild brown trout. I left the area about 3 years ago but I have a lot of fond memories on all of those streams. The crowds are dying down now (hatchery trucks stopped making their rounds) and it is SULPHUR TIME! Best hatches of the season from now through most of June.

Here's a quick article that I put together a few years ago to get folks primed up for those wonderful little yellow mayflies: Pennsylvania Fly Fishing - The Sulphurs are here! - PaFlyFish.com - Blog

If you find yourself making the journey to that area I can hook you up with specific directions. Great streams and great hatches and now is the time!

Welcome to the site and tight lines!

P.S. If you enjoy a challenge, all of these streams have tremendous Trico hatches starting around last week in June and spinnerfalls will occur every morning up until just about the first frost. Nothing like sight casting to a foot and a half long brown trout with a #26 spinner imitation.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring