View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any headache saving tips for a new tyer? (besides don't start the addiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finisher View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
That's actually pretty good compared to my first dies. You are all set. You have what you need. You can look at you own work, see and identify the other-than-perfect-parts and be happy with the accomplishment. All you have to do now is tie a few hundred more.

Don't fish that fly. Put it a box and hold on to it. Add flies to that box as you skill level increases. It's a good way of identifying where you are prone to making mistakes. Is also a very good way the watch how you progress.

One thing I find really helpful is to have a fly that on my bench that I am tying. That way I can pick it up and look at it and use it for comparison. I have a couple of boxes of examples of flies on my bench. I also keep a 3-ring binder, 1 pattern per page with detailed notes per pattern where they are/were needed.

Being gutsy enough to try a #14 dry with hackle tip wings the first time around and getting a fly off the vice - you are all set.

That fly is one hash mark in the win column for you!