View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: new to fly fishing from PA

Collecting can be it's own addiction!

Well, I'm a good one to give that advise! I've got thousands of flies. Probably more than I'll ever get to use. Nothing wrong with adding to the collection.

I tie most of my own. Been tying for a long, long time. It's addicting, and even though I have plenty of flies to fish with, I'm always tying more.

I'm a multi-species anglers too, so have flies for the various fishes I chase.

I enjoy the collecting & tying, which adds to my enjoyment of this sport. I'm sure you feel the same about ice fishing.

However, as I said previous, start with a basic assortment of flies & add as you wish. Proper casting, just as with a baitcaster, and presentation is more important than the fly pattern. It will take some time, patience & practice, but I'm sure you'll get it. Then you'll be like the rest of us & before long will have more flies than you'll use!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!