View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: new to fly fishing from PA

Collecting can be it's own addiction!

Well, I'm a good one to give that advise! I've got thousands of flies. Probably more than I'll ever get to use. Nothing wrong with adding to the collection.

I tie most of my own. Been tying for a long, long time. It's addicting, and even though I have plenty of flies to fish with, I'm always tying more.

I'm a multi-species anglers too, so have flies for the various fishes I chase.

I enjoy the collecting & tying, which adds to my enjoyment of this sport. I'm sure you feel the same about ice fishing.

However, as I said previous, start with a basic assortment of flies & add as you wish. Proper casting, just as with a baitcaster, and presentation is more important than the fly pattern. It will take some time, patience & practice, but I'm sure you'll get it. Then you'll be like the rest of us & before long will have more flies than you'll use!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!