View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 06:32 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Any headache saving tips for a new tyer? (besides don't start the addiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finisher View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Ard. Much appreciated.

I dove in head first tonight and tried to tie an Adams on a size 14 hook. Well, it looks more like a Frankenadams/Hackle monster. It took way too long, but each step was a first step. I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew, but I wanted to try something that I will probably use right away, at least that was the idea. This thing says "struggle" all over it. The hackle needed to be thinner, the wings are set back towards the tail too much, the tail was mismeasured and therefore chopped giving it a boxy look, but I did a decent whip finish. This was a youtube project. Even the pic sucks. Oh well, baby steps... Please, bring on the slaughter!Click the image to open in full size.
I'd say for your first fly, you did an excellent job! Dries, especially not a Catskill style fly is not what I considered an easy fly to start with. I did buggers and nymphs back then. When I first delved into dries, I went the comparadun route on mayflies and then on to parachute style. I'm still not where I want to be with Catskill style for that matter.

Keep your first fly as a reference point for your learning and by all means keep posting with us. You should sit down and tie up another dozen of them, that will really help you learn the techniques needed for that pattern.

Keep up the good work.