View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default 1st Good Evening of the Year

My buddy asked me to try a local lake since we had a nice mild evening. We typically take both a spinning rod (for wackie worm) and a fly rod (my first Spring with fly equipment), and use whatever is working best. Started off by hammering some pretty nice Redear sunfish on a spider fly just casting from the dock. When that action slowed down, we got into the canoe and worked the shoreline. Knew we would also get LMB because we could see and hear them splashing water as they ambushed the forage fish. Wackie worm was effective, but we used the fly rods 75-80% of the time just because it was more fun. Action was hot in spurts. Didn't hit any huge bass, but definitely enjoyed what we got on the 4 wt setup.

Funny thing is that we can slam these Redear slabs early in the season and then never find them in Summer and Fall.

We always catch and release on this private lake, so it's the go-to place when the bite gets tough elsewhere. Let's hope this is the first of many productive days.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.