View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 02:25 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: best crappie fly ?

I do fairly well with crystal buggers in size 6 or 8. I'll weight the buggers, with wire, cones, beads or barbell eyes depending on how deep I need them to sink

Another fly I like is a simple feather wing streamer/ wet fly. Hook size can be any you like, but I usually go with 4, 6 or 8.
It's nothing more than a hackle fiber tail, often I use red, body of silver or gold flat tinsel, ribbed if you like, but I don't usually, a wing of a pair or 2 of white hackle tips, and a sparse collar of any soft or webby white hackle you have. I tie these on streamer or nymph hooks of various lengths. On 2or 3X long streamer hooks it looks more like a streamer, but on shorter hooks, it looks more like a wet fly. Either way, doesn't seem to matter. I don't add any additional weight to these, as the weight of the hook is all you need. I cast them along edges & just let them sink slowly, counting them down & stripping them back with short strips of the line. Great for any relatively shallow water, say 4 ft or less, but can certainly be used in deeper water.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!