View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 02:05 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Feathers vs Soft Plastic

I believe you.

The very first time I ever went Pike fishing I took my 9' 7 weight Lami Glass rod with my old Pflueger 1495 reel and for my lures, a bunch of McNally Magnums in various color combos. Tom McNally in his book 'Fly Fishing' stated that he had tested his ties against the venerable Dare Devil Spoons and some pike Plug lures in Ontario back in the 1960's I believe. He claimed that the long streamer fly with a #6 or 8 double hook trailing in the saddle hackles as a stinger out fished the hardware 3 : 1. Since everything else in his book was spot on, I tied the flies and bought the 9' 7 weight rod to go catch Pike.

I went with a long time Piker who was familiar with Glendale Lake out near Altoona PA. Dicky was hard core and he was quietly amused at the tall guy with the 9' rod sitting in the front of his little Ranger boat as we launched. At days end the flies had boated 4 nice pike and lost three; the hardware scored none. The Magnums also caught 7 very nice bass, Large Mouth I think they were, (I'm talking 1980 81 here) and the hardware 4. I do remember the numbers, maybe not if the bass were Large Mouths or Smallies but the numbers stuck!

Dicky confided that the number of fish did not represent a banner day for this fishery but that he was most impressed that the big flies caught more fish than his crank baits. He was averaging 2 or three casts to my one because of my stripping line and having to double haul it all back out for another retrieve.

So......... I believe ya,

Thanks for the memories Rick!

You see, reading posts so often brings to mind times long buried in the stack of other times. They are there but it takes a nudge to bring them forth. That is one of the great things about participating here for me, memories........

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;