View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 05:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feathers vs Soft Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I believe you.

The very first time I ever went Pike fishing I took my 9' 7 weight Lami Glass rod with my old Pflueger 1495 reel and for my lures, a bunch of McNally Magnums in various color combos. Tom McNally in his book 'Fly Fishing' stated that he had tested his ties against the venerable Dare Devil Spoons and some pike Plug lures in Ontario back in the 1960's I believe. He claimed that the long streamer fly with a #6 or 8 double hook trailing in the saddle hackles as a stinger out fished the hardware 3 : 1. Since everything else in his book was spot on, I tied the flies and bought the 9' 7 weight rod to go catch Pike.
Ard, wasn't that the story where when he was flying to a lodge he lost all his flies when they dropped from the plane.
The only material there to tie new flies from was a wolf pelt on the wall.
So he tied up some crude bucktail style flies and still out fished the lures 3 : 1
As a further test they cast to the pike with the lure and during the 'follow" would cast the wolf fly along side. The pike took the fly over the lure every time