View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM

jmh8098 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: West Branch of Delaware Nymphing

The WB Delaware is a tough river to earn your stripes on. I have fished many rivers in the rockies and the east and I would say it is one of the most technical fisheries out there. When a fish is locked in on a food source it is just not going to hit your fly because it it there, it has to look right and you have to present it right. You could have a dozen trout surface feeding on a flat and every single trout could be feeding on a different bug, and of the different bugs, a different stage of that bug. It is not uncommon to have 5 or six major hatches going on at the same time on the WB. When you get closer to the dam then all bets are off. I've seen Hendrickson's come off just below the weir in mid to late July, along with sulphers, olives, caddis, march browns... I have had quite a bit of success nymphing on the WB and I find that your common pheasant tail, hares ear, ect. are all you need but size and color are the biggest factor than a particular pattern. Oh and a nice big fluffy stimulator like size 8 (not kidding!) in the fast water in the lower sections for rocketship rainbows is tough to beat.

Jason