View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Sierra Bright Dot

I've been tying up some flies for family taking a trip to fish some streams in the Eastern Sierras in June, so I did some poking around to figure out what flies might be helpful for them. While asking advice someone passed along a link to the Sierra Bright Dot. So among the other patterns I tied I included a couple for each of them.

It's a simple fly. I tied it in 14 and 16 with 8/0 black thread. Tail is golden pheasant tippet, fore and aft grizzle hackle with red floss in between. Anyone fish this pattern?

Click the image to open in full size.

I've read some books that talk about the origin of fly patterns and find it interesting. This fly is no different though what I've found is brief. It has been in use for over 60 years and its namesake is connected to the incident which gave Convict Lake its name, if you google it some information will come up. Hopefully it'll be useful for them on their trip, I figured if nothing else it might be nice to fish a more traditional pattern for the region. I tied a few up for myself to try here in Colorado.