View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default need help with some bug terms...and anatomy differences

Hello...I know there are folks here that have a good understanding of this all. I am trying to learn what the actual physical diffecences there are between a "Dun" and a "Spinner" of various may flies.

I understand that the Dun, when it moults becomes a Spinner...I think in most cases. This is where I get confused...the "so called" still born pattern is I would think when a nymph is turning into a dun...and gets stuck...but recently I read about this being between dun & spinner??? when it is moulting its case.

OK...it probably really does not matter, however in my quest to tie better and more accurately, I wanted to make an addition to the"trilogy" I tied up...and maybe add part 4...but I am not sure if the spinner is sufficiently different...are they the only ones laying eggs? and if so what ddifferences do they display...this is where my own seining and observations run out of relevance, as far as answering this.

I know this is probably old hat to many here...but I have been wandering around this all a long time...and maybe some others could learn too...at least I know I would very much appreciate some advice...

all the best...ted

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/