View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 11:27 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: need help with some bug terms...and anatomy differences

Add another one to your "must have" library Ted... Hatches II by Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi.

Hatches II (Bk. 2): Al Caucci, Bob Nastasi: 9781558210608: Amazon.com: Books Hatches II (Bk. 2): Al Caucci, Bob Nastasi: 9781558210608: Amazon.com: Books

The short answer is that freshly-hatched duns (subimago's) have clouded wings and freshly-moulted spinners (imago's) have clear wings... The long answer is that every mayfly species is different and so are their hatching/moulting/mating/egg-laying habits. It can be very confusing and there is no substitute for a good reference book to fall back on. The above title is the most comprehensive that I've seen on mayflies coast-to-coast.

Another thing to do is grab a couple duns as they're hatching and place them in a large jar (mason jars work well). Most species will molt into adult spinners within 24 hours. This way you'll see the color changes in some species between dun and spinner, and also the color/size differences between males and females of the same species (but not all species).

Pay close attention to spinnerfalls... when you see the egg-laiden females yo-yo dancing over the riffles... catch one, tie on a matching imitation, light up your cigar, and head down to the tailout of the next hole and watch for sippers. In my experience these are are sometimes the largest and wisest trout and will be taking spent spinners in the film right before the hole spills over into the next set of riffles.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring