Thread: Weed guards
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Weed guards

The Bugger you've pictured is a good start. Similarly, Seaducers are good bass flies. Rabbit strip flies too work well for bass. Deceivers are another fine fly for bass. There are actually many, many flies that work very well for bass. I even tie some Keys style Tarpon flies & use them for tidal river LM bass. I tie a lot of my bass flies on straight shank worm hooks normally used for plastic baits. I like big flies for bass fishing!

You can add weed guards to most any large fly. I like the wire guards, either the type you've shown or a 2 prong that fits under the hook point. I also use 2 prong mono guards like you may see on some Bonefish or Redfish flies. All depends on the type of waters I'm fishing & the type snags. If I'm throwing flies into wood, such as tree limbs, or around Spadderdock pads, I like the folded guards as you've shown. Anything like grass, I prefer the 2 prongs.

None are perfect, but an unfortunate necessity sometimes.

Here's some various flies I've tied for bass. Hope it gives you some ideas!
Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!