Thread: Weed guards
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Weed guards

Jimw, I live near Annapolis, in Arnold. I work in DE & on MD's Eastern Shore. Most of the fishing I do is down there too. I've fished both the Pocomoke & Nanticoke in the past, but don't get down there too often now. I spend more time at Chicamacomico, Transquaking, Blackwater or the Choptank. Sometimes I'll go over & fish Wye Mills pond. I also like the upper end of the Honga for saltwater. Bit closer to drive for me. I've fished all over the state at one time or another.

Thanks for the comments about the flies. Glad they gave you some ideas.

Randyflycaster, IMO, wire weed guards do not work well with small size flies. Way too stiff. I've tied Bonefish flies as small as size 8 & added 2 prong mono guards to them, which is primarily for grass on flats. Some of the gunk you may encounter in freshwater, it won't make any different what you use they'll still foul. If it's a guard to prevent snags on rocks with streamers that small, you might do better with a Clouser style fly with the hook inverted.

Jim, nice looking flies! One of my favorite color combo's too. I also like bendbacks for trout. Since they have relatively soft mouths, I would prefer a guard made with hard mono rather than the wire, particularly in grass.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!