View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Orvis Clearwater?

There's nothing wrong with the Clearwater reel. My first rod/reel setup was a Redington Red Fly 2. I've just recently gotten serious about the sport and bought more rods - one being the Clearwater combo in a 4 wt. It casts better than my Redfly 2 ever did. As long as you take care of it, all pieces of that combo will last you a long time!! I did upgrade the line to the Helios 3D textured line.

On the Clearwater vs. Access reels, The Clearwater is a large arbor while the Access is a mid arbor. Ask your sales guy the difference. The Access reel is a better reel, though I suspect you'll be just fine for years to come with the Clearwater. Besides, Orivs has a great warranty and customer service. If anything were to go wrong, they'd take care of you. Buy a reel to match your rod. I'm not a fan of buying an oversized reel to match 6 different size rods. The Clearwater II reel will work on a size 4,5 & 6 wt rods. It is the proper size for your rod.

If you just have to buy a different reel, consider a Ross or Lamson large arbor reel and a fly line other than an Orvis line - perhaps a Scientific Angler Mastery Trout or textured Trout Stalker line.

Enjoy the new rod! It's a great setup for the money and a great first rod to own!!