View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 5-Weight Shootout

I think that George gives the rods a pretty good test.

I was at his shop a few years ago, talked to him, looked at the rods that he was testing then, looked at the measurements, calculations, etc. Outside of the fact that he advises GLoomis, I think he's pretty neutral in his testing.

Having said, that, the 5 wts. that I fish most of the time are my Sage Z-Axis (a previous winner) and my Hardy Zenith (also a previous winner). So, although I'm not a fan of the NRX and I really don't think that the 5 wt. Sage One is a superstar rod, I do concur with most of what George has to say in his Shoot-Outs, most of the time.

But, there is no substitute for casting the rods that you're considering; preferably on the water, and making a decision based on what feels best for you.

In the 3 wt. class, my Tom Morgan Rodsmith, 7'9" is my prize rod. Tom just builds beautiful rods.

Pocono