View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I really need in a fly reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic29358 View Post
What I'm really looking for is a reliable trout reel for my 5wt rod. I doesn't seem like I need super strong drag, so I think I've decided on a click/pawl reel. When it comes down to it, is there really a difference between a $99 and a $300 reel. Or will any reel to the trick? It seems the rod is where I should spend a little more. I am taking into consideration made in the USA vs. overseas. Sure I'd like to buy an Able, but that's a lot to shell out right now.
Instead of giving you a long and drawn out response, I will narrow my answer to four points.
  1. Look at the machining. Are the tolerances tight? Does the spool wobble when it spins?
  2. How important is the finish to you. You really want something that is going to last.
  3. Drag system? Do you really need a disk drag? Regardless, you need something that is smooth starting. If you are going to have a long drawn out fight with Homie on a regular basis, you may want a disk drag.
  4. Is made in USA really important to you? Will an offshore made reel do the job?

Good luck with your search.

Dennis