Thread: Cast piling up
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cast piling up

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
Im practicing just about every day after work. I can only hit the water one or two days a week so a lot of it is with the short practice rod inside. Its not quite the same but the bright yellow string/ red yarn arrangement helps me see where everything is going and what it is that I am doing wrong. Ill work on making my stops a little higher up. The line shoots out and then hits this imaginary wall and just piles in a way. Its not because its used all of the running line available and jerking against the reel (although that does happen every now and again) but more because it just runs out of energy. Im working on the consistency thing. Once thats down, Ill look into maybe a slight heavier head. I dont want to step up in weight to cover up bad form.
In the simplest of terms a 'cast' is just a transfer of energy from the rod to the fly. The more line you've got between the two the faster 'gravity' will work on the cast. I suspect you're bouncing of the design capacity of both rod and line. Everything is 'perfect' and you may get a tad more, but as to what you're experiencing I'm thinking this rod is giving you every thing its got.

To get out to where you want the only answer may be a 12.5 - 14 foot spey rod. Bye the bye I love the casts where there's more going out (energy) than the cast needed and it jerks more line of the reel. A real smile maker!