View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I really need in a fly reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Can I piggyback off this thread with a related question and ask how important a sealed drag is versus one that isn't sealed? For example: the Ross Flyrise versus the Lamson Konic? The reels would be for a 4wt and 5wt rods.
Where I sit is that multiple factors are in play:

1. Owner serviceability or Manufacturer serviceability
2. Maintenance or little to no maintenance.
3. Price/budget
4. Reel and specifically drag design
5. Manufacturer warranty.

I've come to appreciate reels that I can service myself--not saying this is right for everyone. Replacing springs/pawls or getting another cork drag plate are a convenience as opposed to sending a reel back for service and or replacement. This can often be done in the field if parts are on hand or possibly by going to a local fly shop. Some reels I own there is little more that I can do but to send them back for service and that's OK too because the manufacturers I've chosen offer repair/service. Replacement is OK too but if you're on a trip and aren't don't have a backup reel to use this could be a problem.

Of the two you mentioned, I know that my local shop who carries Lamson recommends them because they're pretty well serviceable in a fly shop. I've seen guys bring their Lamsons in and they replaced the bearing within a few minutes.