View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I really need in a fly reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
With a light trout reel, you're not looking for a drag that will stop a truck. You only need to set the drag strong enough to prevent backlash.
What's important is that the reel "starts up" smoothly without any jerking to protect the tippet.

I use "primitive" drags on all my fresh water reels. Spring/pawl and the Medalist type brakes.
If you've got them set right... it's all you need.

This is the reel that I've been using this week

Click the image to open in full size.
So yes! Old (and I do mean OLD) addage is you set your drag for half the break strength of your tippet. Point being is the line going through the guides adds a hell of a lot more.

This is really true with 2handers. One of the reasons guys can use dragless reels like the Hardy's. They can be knuckle busters with a hot fish, but that can be more than half the fun.