View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default A screamin' reel deal

Last weekend I stopped into the sportsman's big box store to grab some tying materials and look at the Hardy Ultralites, I hadn't seen them in any fly shops in town. For the box store retailer they have a nice case full of reels. Select models were on sale with no rhyme or reason. The UL DD 5000 was actually on sale for $179 I think it was. But man that it is big reel for a 5 WT, the diameter is huge, I didn't like it for my rod and the size down was not on sale. Go figure.

Then I noticed the orange price tag next to a Ross Evolution. I've never paid more than $100 for a reel but have always been infatuated with certain Ross models. Anyway, this Evolution LT 3 in dark green matte finish and sized perfectly was on sale for $199. Its a $300+ reel! My irrational side convinced my frugal, pragmatic side to take it and run!

It matches up with my new XP 965 soooo nicely and it is sooo smooth. Might be the best $200 I've spent in a while.