Thread: Furled Leaders
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all
Default Re: Furled Leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
Do any of you switch between nymphing and dries with the same furled leader? The ability to do this has been my one question mark in buying furled leaders? I really enjoy the ability to switch from nymphing to dries with a typical leader.
Many fly fishers want one leader that will do everything for them. Meaning, fish dries and nymphs without changing the leader. I personally change the leader or the rod for different conditions, but I know many that do not. The one thing to keep in mind when switching from a dry to a nymph is that nymphing typically utilizes heavier tippet material. If you tie on 3x to a dry fly leader that is designed for 5x, 6x, 7x, you could break the leader if you get snagged on a rock or get caught on a tree/bush, etc. With thread leaders, upsizing to the next weight class is not a bad idea if you are going to use only one leader all season. If you use a 7-8 wt leader on a 5wt rod, the leader will have a much higher breaking point than that of a 4-5-6 wt dry fly leader. Our nymph leaders are made with more material so a 4-5-6 nymph leader is much stronger than a4-5-6 dry fly leader which is made for 5x, 6x, 7x tippet. Just something to keep in mind when using/buying furled leaders. Because furled leaders have loops, they make changing the leader very easy. Unlike tapered leaders which are difficult to change and re-package, furled leaders can be put on and taken off with ease.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com