View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I really need in a fly reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Thanks (to everyone) for the comments. Your Ross Evolution LT has what I call an open drag like the Ross Flystart. When you pop the spool off, there is an opening in the drag assembly that "could" get grit into it. My question really is how concerned or careful do I need to be in keeping that from happening? And... Is it hard to deal with if it does happen?

The Waterworks Lamson reels have a completely sealed drag system that attaches to the frame of the reel rather than the spool like with Ross. While I'm not that tough on my gear, I'm not all that careful either. My reels have been dunked, dropped on a soft or sandy shoreline, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts!
The Ross Evolution is a self-lubricating and maintenance-free system. They recommend simply running clean water over it to clean and grit away. With the lifetime warranty I don't worry about this at all.