View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Ultimate "FITW" Trout Flies Assortment

Dear tsubeta04,

First of all, welcome to the forum! You'll find some truly great people on this site, and I DO mean some really great folks!!! Knowledgeable, kind and generous to a fault, and the sort of people you wouldn't mind sharing a favorite stretch of river with...

As for your question about the money? No offense taken, as it's a fair question. A very small portion of the funds keeps me wrapping enough "bugs" to fill the orders. As for the rest of it? It all will be going back into the fund that allows me to keep these classes for "my kids" free of charge!

A quick bit of history for you... Over 15 years ago, I was diagnosed with the first of what would eventually become three battles with brain cancer. Removing the tumor put me into a rehab situation, in which I had to "re-learn" many of the motor skills that we all take for granted.

My now-retired oncologist at the time was and remains an avid fly fisherman. He thought that having my tying stuff available while I was in rehab would further help me recover my hand and eye coordination. It did, but it also brought me a curious audience-- kids from the Children's Cancer wing. The number of "visitors" increased over my time in rehab, and on the long drive home, I decided that I would spend my remaining time wrapping hooks, fishing and hosting/teaching late Fall and winter tying classes for a small group of kids going through the same battle that I'd endured.

That was over 15 years ago, and since then, a few of my fishing "cronies" and I have undertaken all of the costs. None of "my kids" have ever paid a dime, and none of them ever will!!! Having beat cancer on three separate occasions has only served to bolster my resolve in this endeavor.

I don't seek out a "non-profit" status of any kind because what I do has always been my project, and mine alone. With my "cronies" and me having the final say, the classes can be molded to fit any of "my kids" needs, and not some parameters set up by an outside entity. I won't give up that sort of flexability...

Should you decide that you "want in," so to speak, that would be great. It is only because of the generosity of a few close and distant friends that the Good Lord has allowed me to keep doing this every year...

The ball, as they say, is in your court. Either way, welcome to the forum again, and may you always be blessed with memorable hours astream...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited by hairwing530; 05-26-2013 at 05:45 AM.