View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, what do we have here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Yeah, I agree completely. Truly the tough thing to consider in a photograph is color... back-lighting, dialing up intensity (editing), can change things dramatically.

We can safely agree that the fly pictured is definitely Ephemerella... after that, subvaria (Hendrickson) and invaria (Sulphur) are very close. The wild card here is E. rotunda, which "officially" no longer exists, despite being a full hook size bigger (than invaria) with yellow wing masts and olive highlights in the thorax. Anyway, E. rotunda and E. invaria are now classified as the same insect (E. invaria).

For what it's worth, they continued to be separate to me since they are so physically different. The rotunda's would kick off the "sulphur hatch" in SEPA right around last week in April (give/take a week or two) hatching just after lunch. Invaria's were 2 weeks after and E. dorothea another 2 weeks later (again, rough estimates and variable from year-to-year).

I guess for me the overall yellow appearance pushed me towards sulphurs.
I'm pretty sure that it's a female Hendrickson, but Tim said that he thought the hatch should have been over 2 weeks ago and I wasn't about to argue with him.
it's a very cool picture though.