View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: I need some schoolin'

We have some decent size White Perch here in the Chesapeake bay area. They're occasionally caught up to about 15", but most are about 9 or 10". Excellent table fare, one of my favorites. As Rip said, small, flashy flies are what I use when targeting them. They get far up into some of the rivers & streams, but most are caught in the tidal rivers & creeks. Some of the reservoirs here have both perch species in them as well. I suspect transplanted via water birds.

I recall catching them in the Gunpowder River many years ago while fishing for trout. I was at the section just below Prettyboy Dam, which is a long ways upstream from the tidal waters.

I've heard some southern folks call Crappies by that name, but some also call them Specks. Which is a name used for Spotted Seatrout too. Local names can be confusing. Some folks call Yellow Perch "Neds" and no one seems to know why! My grand father called Largemouth Bass, "Green Trout"! When I was a kid visiting my grand parents, that name always confused me!

Here's some of the flies I use for both species of Perch, and they work as well on Crappies.

I've posted pictures of these before. They're basically Bonefish or "Flats" type flies. Sizes range from 8 to 2, but 4 or 6 are probably what I would use most.

Click the image to open in full size.

I've posted these too before, and they work quite well on White Perch.

Size 6 white streamers. Un-weighted.

Woolly Buggers work as well as anything for Perch, and the Clousers in this box are great for them. They're basically tied with bead chain eyes, & fox fur over Polar Flash or all Polar Flash. These are all size 6

These are flies I use for Shad & various panfishes, including White Perch.

Another fly I like for Shad & panfishes. It's a variation of a Goldie or Kreelex.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!