View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 01:17 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Everything I Hope To Never Be...

Someone once said that the true beauty of a river is that you can wade the same stretches time and again, and never once fish the same water twice! The ebb and flow of a river's currents see to that, as they provide an ever-changing "waterscape" that's there one moment and gone the next. And, I wholeheartedly agree with this observation.

I'll take the premise one step further with the fact that living near the river's edge is akin to a front row seat on life in the great outdoors, and humanity in general. An hour or so ago, said view was anything but pleasant, in that I was privy to another display of poor conduct astream, and even worse, a truly pathetic set of teaching/parenting skills.

Let me set the scene... One of the "fishing cronies" and I were putting up new screens on the riverside porch late this morning. Daughter Jesse, fresh home from college, was working a pair of decent trout that reside in the logjam across the river from us. Some 150 to 200 yards upstream was a pair of younger boys, and some 100 or so feet above them, their father stood thigh-deep in the river. How did I know of their relationship? It was obvious by the bellowing instructions being shouted downstream as the man waded back and forth.

Now, the youngsters were trying their level best to put a fly on the water in such a way that they wouldn't incur the wrath of "Dear Old Dad," but to no avail. Repeated hang-ups only brought more wading and verbal reprimands, more unnecessary comments, and a host of "descriptive" insults that would make a drill instructor blush. And he of the Big Mouth might have gotten away with it if he hadn't cut loose on Jesse while she was untangling one of the boy's flies. In that moment, he crossed the line...

The man was "persuaded" by my tree-sized "fishing cronie"-- his nickname is "Trunk" because of his sheer mass --to wade back to the landing and find somewhere else to fish. His departing comments and actions-- he snapped in two one of his son's rods, just to teach him a "lesson" --made me realize that the man was everything I hope to never be...

In the days, months and years ahead, I hope to never be:

impatient when introducing others to a sport that has given me so much...

inconsiderate of other anglers whenever my waders are gently pushed by the river's currents...

too busy to help a newbie or stranger to these waters figure out the best "fly of the day..."

unwilling to just take a kid fishing...

self-absorbed and unaware of all of the "small things" that come with a day spent astream...

forgetful of the GOLDEN RULE, or from where I once came!!! As in life, the "Rule" applies astream as well...

And, as for my humble fly-fishing beginnings? Those are lessons that have been ingrained from Day One. Sometimes, I think there are those who forget the hours spent casting on a small farm pond...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited by hairwing530; 05-27-2013 at 05:35 AM.