Re: RIO or Scientific Anglers
I tend to pick lines based on their taper designs and their compatibility to the specific fly rod model & the size / type of fly patterns I will be throwing. After evaluating many lines over the years here are a few of the combinations that I have found to work well for my stroke. They will provide you an idea of the type of line to pick for the type of rod action-
1) Orvis Far & Fine 7'9" 5wt - SA Mastery Trout WF5
2) Sage Z Axis 5wt - Rio Gold (2011 taper design)
3) Sage ZXL 4wt - SA Mastery Trout WF4 OR Air Flo Tactical Ridge WF4F
4) Sage ZXL 6wt - SA Mastery Trout WF6
5) Orvis Superfine Trout 4wt - SA Mastery Trout WF4 OR Sage Quiet Taper DT4F
6) Payne 100 Bamboo - Sage Quiet Taper DT4F
7) Granger 8040 - Sage Quiet Taper DT5F OR Cortland Sylk DT5F
8) Wulff TT WF5F and WF4F - I just got these and the initial impressions are very favorable. Will report more after a few fishing trips.
I tried several versions of the Orvis Wonderline lines and found them to be good.