View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Less force, more power. Contradiction or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeter View Post
Last week I was on a guided fishing trip on the White River in Arkansas. Our guide (excellent) had some comments on my casting technique, or lack there of. Here is a summary of what he observed;

A. I use too much force
B. But I don't have enough power
C. The fly makes a swishing sound, which it shouldn't do
D. The line doesn't have enough speed.
E. I don't load the rod
F. I jerk the rod too much

Also

G. I stop too early in the forward cast
H. I have too stiff wrists [I thought wrist movements should be as small as possible...]
I. The backcast leaves a lot to be desired (unspecified what...)

Can all these observations really all be simultaneously true? For instance, can A. and B. both be true at the same time? Likewise for C. and D.? Etc. etc.

We fished 10ft rods with long leaders and short casts. Distance was not the problem. Accuracy, presentation, line not landing too straight, leader landing i a mess, tangles, those were the problems I experienced.

A part for casting problems, I would love to go back to Arkansas again some time. Great week of fishing.
We can discuss the terminology but basically fly casting is about the casting stroke (the path of the casting hand), the degree (amount) and rate (timing) of acceleration, rod rotation, and a hard stop at the correct stop point that makes the rod tip travel in a straight line.

The hard stop is needed to transfer the energy in the bent fly rod to the fly line and to provide a fixed point of resistance against which the fly line unrolls.

A lot has to go right and this means a lot can go wrong. The capital letters below correlate to your points.

A. He means you are applying the force (acceleration incorrectly either amount or timing) incorrectly and not stopping at the right time with a hard stop.

B. Power is a function of the rod but he means you are inefficient, despite the force you are using. He probably also means you have a wide inefficient casting loop, see D below.

C. Don't know what this means, could be A

D. The line is not going a straight line which means the force you are using to cast is probably pulling the line in a circle. There is a lack of directionality to your cast. When the fly line and rod tip goes in a circle, only a portion of the force is actually directed toward the target.

E, F, G, & H See #A

I. Since a backcast and forward cast should be mirror images, see A-H above.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy