View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Less force, more power. Contradiction or not?

Reading through this tread again, a great one, this one line (original post) caught my attention: "We fished 10ft rods with long leaders and short casts. Distance was not the problem. Accuracy, presentation, line not landing too straight, leader landing in a mess, tangles, those were the problems I experienced."

In my experience, long leaders and short casts can be a non-starter unless you're a pretty darned good with a fly rod to start with. Just not enough line mass (grains) behind the leader? That would go a long way in explaining the 'a mess, tangles, etc.' Not enough 'energy' comming off the end of the fly line to handle a long leader. Add a heavy fly of some sort and this combination can just get worse.