Thread: Saltwater reel
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Saltwater reel

I'm a big fan of buying quality and buying it once. Spend the money on something that will handle the job consistently without fail. I have a couple of Abels I use in the salt, one of which is my go-to surf fishing reel.

It has been used consistently year-round for five years in salt and sand and sometimes punishing surf conditions. I don't baby it, but I don't go out of my way to abuse it either.

I dunk it in a small bucket of water when I get home, take it apart, rinse the parts (5simple parts including spool and frame) and dry them as I put them together. Every fourth or fifth trip, I lube it and put some neet's foot oil on the cork drag.

It still looks as good as the day I bought it. Long after I'm gone, it will still work for my kids, and for their kids. I have other reels from other brands that are nice as well. But the Abels are built for the salt and built to last.

There have been a couple of times I returned home from the salt and got sidetracked without cleaning a reel for a few days. Still no sign of corrosion at all. They are worth every penny.