View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What are the options for black rings in a grip?

No pump involved - you get a snug fit threw the peroxide cap with the air line and run the the side off the air line into a bottle of water.

This keeps ambient oxygen out of the mix. If you expose ferric acetate to air for any length of time it turns rusty brown and won't stain very well since the reaction is pretty much over.

If you use the air line to keep the Oxygen out of the mix and you pour carefully from the peroxide bottle you will get a clear, slightly blue liquid. pretty much what ever you get that stuff on will turn color, from a slight tan to black - all depends on the pH and the presence of tannins or similar.

Work outside. wear gloves and 'painting clothes'.

If you let it perk in open air, you end up the a room that smells heavily of rusty vinegar and a bottle of rusty water.

(I'm just the parrot here. I learned it from a guy who didn't know any chemistry. Ferric acetate is the original black dye for leather.)