View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 PM

1fish is on a distinguished road
Default Southeastern Wyoming

Hello, I've been visiting this site since last fall, while I was planning a cross county trip during the months of October and November 2012. The trip was from Southern CA to PA, then down to FL and then back to CA. I drove across I-80, planning to spend a few days fishing in WY.As it worked out, I spent a couple days camping and fishing at the Miracle Mile on the N Platte and another day poking around and fishing in the town of Saratoga, before heading to PA. I kind of liked the area around Saratoga and Encampment and I'm going to make another trip there this July.

Every year I meet up with my cousin from PA, for a fishing trip. Usually I pick him up at the Reno airport and we fish the Eastern Sierras. Mainly we fish the East Walker, the East Carson, Hot Creek, or a few other places.

This year, for a change of pace, I'm going to pick him up in Cheyenne. His flight to Laramie was canceled last week, so he rebooked to a flight to Cheyenne. I am picking him up at the airport, on a Saturday and dropping him off the following Friday, so we have about 5 1/2 days to camp and fish.

On this trip, like most others, the only absolute plans of the trip, is when I'm picking him up and when I'm dropping him off at the airport. I usually have a rough plan of where we are going to fish. So far the plan for this trip, is to set up camp at the Encampment river CG and then hike upstream and spend a night or two camped along the river trail and fish the river a few mile upstream from the CG. Then, after that spend the next couple of days fishing the North Platte or Encampment, based out of the Encampment river CG.

Being that I have only been to the area for a few days in October, it's a little hard to know what to expect in July. I've done a good bit of research on the internet, but that is, what it is. Is this a decent plan that would make for a good trip, or should I look more to one of the campgrounds on the N Platte and base the bulk of trip there? Or instead of hiking the Encampment, hike the N Platte?

Any insight, recommendations, or cautions are more than welcome. I'm pretty sure the river conditions should be okay that time of year, but I'm not sure about the crowds or availability of campsites. Are bears a problem? Sorry for he long post. Thanks for your time and knowledge.