View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 12:11 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Please help me with proper leader selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
I am a novice fly fisherman .... I generally understand the concept of SMOOTHLY transferring energy from the rod to the fly line, through the leader, the tippet, and eventually to the fly, by stepping down through line sizes.

However leader size is still a mystery to me. I am using tapered leaders. I'm thinking there should be a relationship between the leader size and fly line size, in order to assure that smooth transmission of energy.

Since leader sizes are measured at the tippet end, I don't know what the butt size is. And I suspect that it's important to have a reasonable match up between the butt of the leader and the tip of the fly line.

So, I'm asking you veterans to lead me (pun intended) to the correct way to select my leader.
OK, let's make this as easy as possible.

Method #1:

Go buy a commercial leader. Unwrap it and take the leader butt and put it next to the end of the fly line and compare diameters. If the leader butt is about the diameter of the diameter of the fly line or just a bit thinner, cut off the leader loop and nail knot the leader butt to the end of the fly line.

If the leader is much thicker, find an area of the butt that is about the diameter of the fly line, cut and nail knot at this point.

When the leader wears out, cut the leader leaving about 8" of the butt nail knotted to the fly line. Tie a perfection loop into the end of the this section and then use it to connect new leaders with a loop to loop connection

Click the image to open in full size.

If the butt is less than 3/4 of the diameter of the end of the fly line, go to method 2.

Method #2:

Get a section of stiff mono that is about the diameter of the fly line and tie it to the end of the fly line with a nail knot. Cut it leaving about an 8" section and tie perfection loop. Now connect the leader with a loop to loop connection.

I use Maxima Chameleon for stiff mono.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy