View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 PM
petee's Avatar
petee petee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Coast of Calif
Posts: 279
petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rod Spine...up or down?

Uh oh.................... now you've done it . Three things you will never get agreement on: religion. politics, and to build on the spine or off the spine.

Rumor has it on really big fish the rod will try to twist to its natural spine. I have never tested that theory as I can't seem to catch really big fish. Some say building directly on of off the spine will either help with your forward cast or the lift off the water. Sage says they build on the straightest axis. Don't want to buy a $700+ rod that looks crooked .

Personal opinion: 90% of fishermen can't tell the difference. Of the remaining 10%, probably 5% of them are lying. The majority of FFF certified casting instructors can probably tell.

Me? On a straight blank I build on the spine. Why tempt fate? Plus I do notice better tracking when I build on or 180 degrees off the spine. Better tracking = better accuracy on the cast.

When you realize that the spine is the weak side of the blank it makes sense that the rod will try to go to it when you are in a tug -o-war with a fish.

Pete
__________________
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 06-02-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote