View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 04:08 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My first Abel question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterpunk View Post
Greetings all.

I recently bought my first Abel, a Super 4, that is the perfect size and feel for my Sage.

I don't remember it being so danged loud in the shop, but that's another story...

It clicks on the intake like normal when I reel easy or have a just a slight amount of inward pressure on the knob, but when I pull out slightly the pawl stops clicking and I just get the low clicking rattle of that pin against the drag plate bearing. Seems like something isn't fitting together tightly enough, but I've checked the lock nut and everything else.

Any thoughts?
It's working exactly as it's supposed to work. The pawl clicks into the groove on the drag plate when line is being pulled out of the spool; therefore, there is no pawl that clicks like a traditional click and pawl reel. The only sound outgoing is from the pin on the spool that goes into the dimples on the drag plate. The sole purpose of that pin and the grooves on the drag plate is to create the outgoing click. Incoming, you have the pawl clicking into the drag plate, which creates a different sound than the pin.

Cheers,
Mike.