View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Scott Rods Reviews?

I have fished Scott rods since they were made out of fiberglass in San Fransisco. Modern Scotts are very carefully and intelligently crafted with above average hoop strength and straight tracking. I have discontinued STS...Scott's answer to GLX in 9'/#4, a great trout rod and 9 1/2'/#8, one of my favorite Atlantic salmon rods. I have an S3 9'/#4 (Scott literally invented this configuration in the late 70's) that I like but is a bit heavy and needs a 1/2 size heavy GPX; a line I am not fond of fishing with. A rod I use wading mangrove lagoons in tight quarters is a Heliply 8'8"/#8 a unique and lovely bonefish rod and I have an S4s 8-weight too which I love to fish when distance is not a big factor (then the NRX comes out). Though I fished the progenitor of the always popular "G" rods 30+ years ago, I find the current ones too deep flexing with too slow tip recovery for my style of dry fly presentation but I like them (as slower rods) far better than the far less sophisticated tapers of the Winston "Bx" rods despite some DNA sharing that exists between the two good old American companies.

Scott is a great company with wonderful people, all of whom fly fish, that pours more care and awareness into their rods than is customary. However, Sage and Loomis utilize some technology in designs that flash more brilliance, so the Scotts I fish are primarily employed in specialized circumstances that they excel in. When I fish in Colorado, you bet it is with a Scott!